POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Noise3d and Megapov 0.5 : Re: Noise3d and Megapov 0.5 Server Time
2 Oct 2024 10:21:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Noise3d and Megapov 0.5
From: Warp
Date: 29 Jun 2000 09:46:06
Message: <395b531e@news.povray.org>
This thread has been turned into an almost-flame-war when discussing about
which method is better.
  I would like to give an additional point of view besides the ones I have
already made. And it's related to those images.
  If we think about it, the regular noise3d gives smooth bumps and it can be
used, for example, to get a water surface with little waves. I have used
bozo (which uses the noise3d function) many times when making water.
  The noise3d in the official povray is scaled too big, so it has been scaled
correctly in megapov. Noise3d can still be used to get the same water effect
than before, but without the possible plateaus.
  Your patch, however, tries to keep the height of the original noise3d but
"smoothing" those plateaus. This, of course, changes the smoothness of the
function.
  Now tell me honestly: Which one of those images, the second or the third,
looks better if you think about it as a water surface?
  If you are completely honest, you will admit that the third image has
preserved better this feature of the noise3d function. If you imagine the
second image as a water surface, it looks quite unnatural, while the third
image looks much better.
  If it was unclear to you what are the (or my) requisites for noise3d, this
should give an idea of it.